Thursday 22 November 2012

Sense and sensibility

I have this book, and I just watched the movie. Wonderful!

Well to be honest, my first impression on this book of Jane Austen was rather boring. The book is so thick and obviously it doesn't have Mr Darcy in it. So, I didn't really take it seriously. In fact I didn't really read the book from cover to cover.... I skipped most of them, and jump to the parts where I find the MAIN characters ......  ( Sometimes, I feel as if my patience is the limit......)

Out of the blue, I thought of watching the movie to see the difference. There were many versions of movie done on this book. ( Jane Austen's books are simply amazing to be adapted into movies or drama series! ) But I chose to watch the one directed by Ang Lee starring Emma Thompson as Elinor, Kate Winslet as Marianne and Hugh Grant as Edward Ferrars.

I did not regret watching it. Maybe the introduction was a bit lengthy, but the characters were all well played. The emotions, expressions and even accents were professionally done..... Bravo!

Edwards Ferrars may not be my personal favourite Jane Austen hero, but he deserved my respect I suppose. He willingly sacrificed his rights as the eldest just to marry Elinor! And the words that he said to Elinor.... at her cottage, it was so, so touching!

" I-I've come here with no expectations, only to profess, now that I am at liberty to do so, that my heart is, and always will be, yours. "

The script is well written. I am very much impressed. Colonel Brandon is a nice guy too. If he were to exist at our time right now, he will not be as popular as some movie stars, but he has a good heart. A man with a good heart will always go far. ( At least to me.. it is....) I'm glad that he and Marianne found love in each other. ( It's rather sad to see her cry because of an immature , good for nothing man, John Willoughby )

One must not stop to believe in love and happiness..... Have faith! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment