Wednesday 18 December 2013

Emma by Jane Austen

I must admit that it would have been a greater pleasure to read this book if I have not watched the movie first. My bad.

Nevertheless, I insist to read the unabridged version out of respect to my favourite author, Jane Austen, and because I want to know the details of the whole story. 
I must say, this is the most cheerful story that Jane Austen ever written. 

Really curious, was she in love when she wrote this story ? It's just plan funny and sweet. 

Meet Emma Woodhouse, single, clever and beautiful. She is one who acts according to what she thinks,and she does it HER WAY. And guess what, she loves match- making. 

In  terms of characters, I think Jane Austen has done a great job to let the readers have a love/hate relationship towards Emma. You really dislike her when she makes rash decisions, and at times acting very rude towards the elderly of those " below " her. 

One trait mark in every Jane Austen book is that she emphasize the practice of finding someone of equal or higher social class or noble family line for matrimony purposes. She doesn't adore this practice, but she simply made it clear that it was very MUCH practiced THOSE DAYS. And in her novels, she proves that LOVE should never be bound by social class and family backgrounds. LOVE is about mutual respect, sacrifices and understanding one another. 

I like the fact that Mr Knightley is always beside Emma no matter what happens. Truly , Emma found her true love the HARD and most UNEXPECTED way. 

An enjoyable read. =) 
Rating : 4/5 


No comments:

Post a Comment