Sunday 15 December 2013

The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey

I have a little confession to make.
1. I hardly read any fantasy themed book.
2. Half of the reason why I actually watch this movie is because of Martin Freeman .
( aka  Dr John Watson in Sherlock )

And, I'm glad that I watched it. After buying the book , I needed a comparison and a visual back up.
(Just in case I don't really get it )

So, here's the honest movie review.

The movie started with a narrative by Bilbo Baggins, who was quite an elderly hobbit.  He then started to tell part of his life story - about an adventure that he never imagined he could experience.

I must admit that Bilbo's dialogues are the clearest of all actors. I don't know if it's about the sound system ( I watched it at home ) , or about the actors. But he has the most understandable accent and clarity in voice. I know a lot of people will hate me for this, but sometimes I just don't get what Gandalf is saying. But in terms of acting, he is definitely at his best.

The plot sparks a great imagination in terms of characters and animation. Stones that can move, oaks, wolves , elves , dwarfs......

Some action scenes are really unnecessary to me, but there was one scene that really intrigued me a lot. The scene where Bilbo had this riddle game with the Gollum. It was so terrifying!!! But very nicely done !

One of my favourite scene is actually towards the end, when Thorin hugged Bilbo after he saved the former's life !!! Awwww, I love it when  a tough guy hugs a not so tough guy.
( Well, you get the picture ! )

I have nothing but praise for the setting of the movie ! It was filmed in New Zealand, and it has many breath - taking scenery.

Well, it was meant to be a serious movie, but it has its jokes as well. My favourite one
( perhaps the MOST OBVIOUS ONE ) is when Bilbo requested the group to stop, just because he didn't bring his handkerchief out !! LOL !!!!!
( Well, you can't blame the hobbit because it was his FIRST adventure )

In short, The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey is an enjoyable movie. You 'll need to follow the plot and characters really carefully though to understand the life in MIDDLE EARTH.
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment