Saturday 15 December 2012

A special email

So, I decided to email Uncle Soo Ewe Jin, a journalist from the Star yesterday, and voila surprise surprise he replied me!!!


Hi Mr Soo, I am an 18 year old girl from Seremban..I look forward to your articles -  Sunday Starters every week. Not only I am amused and amazed, and sometimes your articles just make me think out of the box.  I once had that dream to be a journalist, but reality bites....... You have to be the BEST to secure a job nowadays, and I don't think Malaysia's education system is perfectly balanced in a sense that it gives more priorities to those in the Science field. Your articles always inspire me, and I count myself blessed that at least despite the fact that I'm doing Form 6 Science Stream, I have MUET lessons. =) Through your articles, I learnt many quotes, vocabulary and it really helps my writing. So, thank you very much, Mr Soo. =)

One of my favourite article of yours is Seeing the real treasure of this blessed land we call home. =). It is such a beautiful piece of work. =) Well, I must say that after reading your article, I had that sudden urge to travel around the world in 80 days! LOL.......

I'm looking forward to your articles to come. Perhaps you can write about your school life? I used to enjoy school life, until the burden of performing well and the too examination based education system simply " kills" my passion to study. Have you watched the movie 3 Idiots? That's what I think about our education system now- merely producing photocopy machines.....  However, I am not that pessimistic of the situation , I have friends, teachers and family to guide me along, and of course God who is always beside me. =)

I hope this email will enlighten you and encourage you, sir. It has been a great pleasure reading your articles. =) Wishing you and  your family a blessed Christmas! Take care and God bless! =)


Joycelyn Ong


Here is the short but sweet reply.


Thank you. Always nice to receive mail from my young fans. :) some people think my articles only appeal to the uncles and aunties, but I am thankful young readers like you not only appreciate the simple reflections I share, but take the trouble to connect. I think you should explore possibilities of being a journalist. Some of the best writers come from science background, like me. .:). A MUET teacher told me she uses my articles for her lessons. I like to write simply so I can communicate to others and not just speak to myself. This Sunday i am writing about teachers, so hope you will enjoy it. A blessed Christmas to you and family too.

God bless.

Ewe Jin (uncle to you)


Ahhh, how do you spell a satisfying sigh...... =)

No comments:

Post a Comment