Sunday 2 December 2012

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

I have been doing a lot of reading lately, and this is really a GUILTY pleasure..... ( You will understand this when you are still a STUDENT....  a Pre- U student in the midst of her semester break.....)
I never thought that I will enjoy reading this book. But I guess as time goes by, I grew to love mystery and suspense. I even watch TV series like Bones, NCIS, CSI : NY etc........  Perhaps, I have become the " master" of love stories that I can even predict them before I even read them, or watch them.... =)

So, I decided to give this book a go. Plus, it's less than 10 bucks!! Worth it, I tell you, it is TOTALLY worth it!!

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle really has a way to spin his stories around with logic, imagination and a blunt sense of humour..... This book consists of 12 short stories, narrated by Sherlock Holmes's sidekick, Dr Watson. I really love the word, sidekick, it's really " trendy" Haha..... =)

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson are really like opposite poles, but they complement each other rather well. Sherlock Holmes has a really good observation , my,  he can basically deduce ANYTHING and EVERYTHING  by first impressions.....  He is a problem solver, very calm and creative.  On the other hand, Dr Watson has a flair for writing and of course practicing medicine. Hence, he provides a less comic effect compared to Sherlock Holmes. In my opinion, I think that Sherlock Holmes really respects Dr Watson and enjoys his company. Dr Watson, being a married man is also willing to spend his time with his bizarre yet good friend. I mean, Sherlock Holmes with his wit and quick reasoning doesn't even need Dr Watson to " assist" him, but yet both of them are considered inseparable..... Very interesting indeed. And they sometimes address each other in a " friendly" manner... Which is totally understandable, since they once lived together before Dr Watson married. Haha.......

My favourite short stories are The Adventure of the Speckled Band and The Five Orange Pips. I can't put the book down until I read the whole story. Seriously. This book is that GOOD.

Rating : 4.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment