Wednesday 26 December 2012

Of Captain Wentworth, Darcy and Gilbert Blythe

All I can say is that I'm in love with fictional characters. First there was Mr Darcy. Then Gilbert Blythe. Now Captain Wentworth..........

I am re- reading Persuasion by Jane Austen now. I'm just taken aback once again. I can't wait to finish reading the novel so I can re- watch the movie again!!! ( It's just my principle )

Persuasion is my second most favourite novel by Jane Austen. First being Pride and Prejudice of course. This story is quite different from Pride and Prejudice. Persuasion is rather a heart breaking novel to read in the beginning. Anne Elliot was persuaded to reject the then poor, no high status Mr Wentworth. He was heart broken, and after 8 years, he returned. He was determined to marry any other woman other than Anne Elliot.  But somehow, you can't lie to yourself about your true feelings. And my oh my, I really love how both of them revealed their feelings towards each other. And the letter!!!! My goodness...........

When I watched the movie a few months back, I was basically dreaming away .......... Captain Wentworth is so handsome!! ( The actor of course...... )

Ah~~~


Mr Darcy swept my heart away the moment I finished reading Pride and Prejudice. He is a classic example of my favourite hero. Even though he was prideful in the beginning, he was willing to change. Furthermore, he helped his rival- Mr Wickham, giving him money and persuading him to marry Lydia. He was also so gentle to Elizabeth. I really love their chemistry together. This novel reflects the process one has to go through to search for true happiness.



Mr Darcy is not the type of man that will capture your heart immediately. You will hate him at first, but slowly his actions, his gentleness will melt your heart away.


Next, it's Gilbert Blythe!!!! This guy was such an attention seeker during his childhood days. The way he pulled Anne Shirley's hair and calling them " carrots"...... Tsk tsk....... But that's how the story begins..... Who would ever thought Gilbert Blythe would come out top of the class and eventually became a DOCTOR!!!! If only I can meet a guy like him nowadays, it would be so fun!!!


I like how their friendship bloomed into courtship. =) It's so sweet!! =)

My three best hero thus far. I may put Mr Knightley in the list too. We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment