Wednesday 20 June 2012

Classics~

Jane Eyre


New things?? Hmmm, you will never believe it, I actually watched a drama series-- Jane Eyre and I love it!! To be frank, Jane Eyre was never really my favourite, because I was simply " blinded" by Pride and Prejudice, so to speak. When I first read the book, I couldn't relate myself to Jane. Here are my reasons.
1. Jane is an orphan and is constantly deserted by others because of her low social standings and humble background.
--> I come from a happy and blessed family and thank goodness this is 21 st  century.
2.Jane is  someone of strong character and she stands up for herself.
--> When I was reading the book, I was just impressed on the surface, not clearly understanding what she really had been through as a young lady.
3. She fell in love with her master, her employer.
--> During this era, it is too common.
4. Edward Rochester was just creepy and weird( when I first read)
--> It takes a long time to accept him as the hero.

But things change. Why??
1. Jane was eighteen when she first began her job as a governess. Look who just celebrated her 18th birthday on February?? I can safely say that I can understand her better now. Definitely.
2. The theme of insecurity and true happiness is revolving through the whole novel. I am now in fact struggling with these issues? What will my future be? Will I be this? Will I be that?
3. Jane Eyre married Edward Rochester who is twenty years her senior. This is again a sign of maturity I guess, I tend to find most of the guys my age immature.
4. They just understand each other and complement each other so well. Instead of just money or good looks, this is what a relationship is suppose to be about, isn't it?

This experience really is an eye opener and I am truly happy to share this with you. In the case of good classic books, you will never be disappointed. =)

                                              Jane Eyre , played by Ruth Wilson.
Plain Jane eh? Not to Edward of course.

Edward Rochester, played by Toby Stephens
Appeared cold, but this iceberg melted when he became the master of Jane Eyre.

Ratings : 5 star~

No comments:

Post a Comment