Wednesday 20 June 2012

My favourite book~ Pride and Prejudice

Notice the title above, who would ever thought that this both qualities can somehow blend with each other so well in a novel. Yes, I am talking about the famous novel by Jane Austen.
This is in fact my first ever serious novel, once I read it, I simply couldn't resist it. I have read this book countless times and I fall in love again and again with Mr Darcy every time I finish reading it.
Here are several points on why I love this book apart from Mr Darcy.

1. The characters
--> Take for an instance Mr Bennet, Mrs Bennet, Jane, Elizabeth, Lydia, Mr Wickham, Mr Bingley and
 ( ahem) Mr Darcy. This characters are distinct and unique in their own way. I must give credit to Jane Austen in the description of the characters above. These characters exist in our society till today and they are not flawless. We can somehow relate to them personally. How many a times we had act like Elizabeth with prejudice when it comes to judging others? Who could ever deny the fact that we sometimes let our pride just creep into us and slowly change our perception of one another?
* To me, a good story is one that you can personally relate to.

2. The settings
--> Yes, isn't it lovely when you read about Pemberly and the balls , dances and the beautiful scenery. It was after all in the early 18th century, where females were to be introduced into good society and they attended balls and they eventually find a husband. Well maybe not all, but to me, it is quite interesting. I think those days dancing tutorial was a must for both male and female. That was the only opportunity for them to really look into each other's eyes and communicate. It's romantic, don't you think so??
* I have no idea what 21st century people like you and me are up to. At least I know we don't dance.

3. The plot
--> This is not an ordinary love story. It also revolves around family matters, status, qualities of one's judgement and even scandals!! It takes a good storyteller to blend every elements of this beautifully and Jane Austen is one of them. Love doesn't come easily for two couples here-- Darcy & Elizabeth as well as Bingley & Jane. They had to face objections from their own family and in Darcy & Elizabeth's case, their own selves.
* I find Jane Austen's writings a mirror of today's society. Couples nowadays have their own struggles and family objections is still one of them.

4. The good moral values and the happy ending
--> Apart from some acceptable rude manners from several characters in the book, I can find no harsh words or comments in this book. This is basically the main reason why I love to read classics. They are straight to the point when it comes to romance, respect--> admiration--> love --> marriage. About the happy ending, I don't want to add in spoilers here for those who had not read this novel.
* Shouldn't love be that simple??

That's for now I guess. Do comment and happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment